Monday, June 20, 2011

Quick, Tasty Tomato Soup

You probably know as well as I do that I'm mainly a sweets blogger. Savory is good too, and especially in Winter, but I find its often harder to get inspired when it comes to savories. But--I get the craving for those hearty soups and breads and such, when its chilly like this.
I cant help but share the recipes, and I know there are lots of mums and busy people out there that are ever looking for quick successful recipes for their beloveds. So occasionally you will stumble upon a few goodies you can use on a day to day basis like this one. Yes, ones that actually wont make your thighs expand!
When I think of dinner, I think economical, satisfying and quick. Of course it has to be appetizing, but those three things don't have to mean boring. I recently wrote a piece for another blog group about saving money on your grocery bills, as my friend and I used to spend $30 a week on our groceries, and I know some people would be interested in knowing how they can do the same. Mortgages, bills, fees, who doesn't have them these days? Anyway, its all about getting creative and thinking your meals through! I will post the guest entry when it is published for those who are interested. Meanwhile, here's a nice budget meal that's a belly warmer on nights like these. I paired it with some Mediterranean bread knots (featured in the last blog entry) and its was lovely!



QUICK, TASTY TOMATO SOUP

1 medium onion, finely chopped
800g diced tomatoes
1 litre chicken stock
cornflour to thicken
pinch of basil
salt to taste

Soften the onion in a large saucepan. Add the chicken stock. Bring to the boil and reduce heat. Meanwhile place tomatoes in a food processes and blend until soup-like in consistency. Add the stock and onion mix and blend again until well combine. Return the soup to the saucepan, add basil. Season with salt as desired. To thicken the soup, add a few tablespoons of cornflour to some of the soup in a small bowl and stir until there is a smooth paste. Add to the soup and return to heat and stir.
Serve with a swirl of cream and some fresh basil or parsley if desired. Serves 4.

NOTES: You can use fresh tomatoes instead of canned if preferred. Heat with the onion until they break down and then place in the blender--heat the stock on its own. Some of the tinned tomato varieties has added herbs and garlic--this is also a nice addition to the flavour of your soup. You can add these ingredients on your own as desired if your canned tomatoes lack them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me some sugar, Sugar...