Saturday, December 10, 2011

Homemade Bounty Bars

This is by far one of the simplest, most delicious recipes I have come across in my lifetime.
Not only is it simple and scrumptious, its very close to the real thing--yes, I'm talking Bounty Bars. I've had near-death experience with my love for coconut over the years, but Bounty bars and I--our affair has never been on the rocks. There's just something so undeniably delicious about that moist coconut centre and the outer chocolate layer, and the attraction gets even stronger with the use of dark chocolate over milk..And here's another thing. It's quite delicious before the chocolate dipping process, so if you have the self control I can't muster, you could always leave the chocolate off (if you're weight conscious but still want to have a treat).




HOMEMADE BOUNTY BARS

3 cups dessicated coconut
200g sweetened condensed milk
1/2-3/4 cup icing sugar
1 tsp. vanilla essence
350g dark chocolate, melted

Combine the coconut and condensed milk in a large bowl. Add enough icing sugar to make a stiff mixture.Add the vanilla and stir until well combined.
Press with a fork into a greased and lined 20x20cm tin and refrigerate overnight until hardened.Cut into 24 bars, coat in melted chocolate and serve when set.

13 comments:

  1. This sounds beyond awesome. Can't wait to try it!
    ~Helen (Bailes) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here, my mouth is watering!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is wery appetizing

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard to make these recipes because the measurements are in grams, etc. and I can not translate to measurements used in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try. We do it with recipes from America. If it gets really desperate then use your eyes. If the mixture is too sloppy then put in more coconut. Too dry? More condensed milk.

      Delete
  5. With regard to anonymous above me 'Google is your friend', dont be lazy and do a search, thats what the rest of the world does when measurements are in are in US weights...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot agree with the above comment more. I live in Australia and it is annoying to convert measurements but it's so easy now you can just use Google.
    I'm just about to try this recipe out, I'm so happy I have finally found a recipe blog where I can find all of the ingredients in Australia!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do what my husband did for me and buy a set of US measuring cups, very cheap and easy to use! Will be using them to make these for sure !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was too lazy to cut and dip into the melted chocolate, I just poured the melted chocolate over the coconut layer and made them into slices and sprinkled some of the coconut mixture that crubled away during the cutting process of the top... The taste was just exactly like Bounty and my hubby liked the presentation too... Thanks a lot for this recipe! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Might try with wihte choclate

    ReplyDelete
  10. I may tweek this & make some Cherry Ripe bars for the hubby (he's feeling a little homesick)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the recipe! Just wondering if you used sweetened or unsweetened coconut? :)

    ReplyDelete

Give me some sugar, Sugar...