Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Giant Triple Chocolate Biscuits

When I was a little girl, there came a certain satisfaction with making a double batch of biscuits and seeing them all go before they got the chance to completely cool. Yes, I am lucky enough to have six lovely brothers who all appreciated something sweet at the end of the day, and as much as I loved to see the biscuits go, there was also a sinking feeling that came with it. All that work and it's disappeared within 5 minutes!
I remember thinking the biscuits just weren't big enough or numerous enough, and so I started making triple batches to subdue the hungry masses. (Gee they must miss me since I moved out of home. What a warm fuzzy feeling--ha!)
This recipe would have come in handy at the time. My brothers also would have appreciated these thick, hamburger-sized, triple-chocolate, fudgey-centred biscuits that I like to think of as "man sized". Maybe I ought to send a box to each of them, with the bribe that they come and visit my blog?
These biscuits are of course, best slightly cooled but fresh out of the oven. They will firm up a bit on cooling, so I like to pop them for a few seconds in the microwave before serving to get that warm, soft and fudgey centre back into them, plus the chocolate chips within melt a little on doing so and make them all the more decadent.



GIANT TRIPLE CHOCOLATE BISCUITS (slightly adapted from Annie's Eats)

1 cup cold butter
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 1/4 cup plain flour
pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 1/4 cups chocolate chips

Preheat the oven at 180C. Line and grease two baking trays and set aside.
In a medium bowl, beat the butter and sugar for 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Beat the eggs in one at a time. Then beat the cocoa powder through the mixture until well combined. Add the flour, salt and baking powder and beat on a low speed until just combined. Fold 2 cups of chocolate chips through the mixture. Knead briefly to incorporate all the ingredients thoroughly. Divide into 12 even balls and then flatten each slightly with the palm of your hand. Place them a few inches apart from each other to allow for some spreading. Bake for 16-20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to partially cool for 10 minutes before removing to a wire cooling rack. Melt the remaining chocolate  and drizzle over the tops of each biscuit.
Serve slightly warmed.

Makes 12

NOTES: If the mixture appears too soft to form balls from, refrigerate the bowl of mixture for 20 minutes. The warmer weather can make the dough quite soft.





1 comment:

  1. Awesomely chocoaltey cookie. I would have to eat these while drinking a large glass of milk!

    ReplyDelete

Give me some sugar, Sugar...