Monday, May 20, 2013

One Hour Coffee Cinnamon Scrolls

It's a chilly wind that blows here today. There are few things that I enjoy more on days like this than baking bread and having that heavenly scent fill the house. But being a busy mum, it's sometimes hard to get time to fully enjoy the process of bread making, because it can span over the best part of the morning or afternoon and get in the way of other household duties. That's only one reason why I love this recipe--it only takes one hour of your time from the very first addition to the clean bowl to the removal from the oven. One hour! And only 10 minutes of that is kneading time, so I don't think we can complain too much there, especially if you have a mixer that will do the job for you. I don't--I don't think I would feel I had really made the bread if I hadn't done some of the kneading by hand.
I halved the original recipe and it still makes oh so many delicious scrolls! There's only one problem--the original recipe calls for three eggs, so halving the recipe means dividing one egg in half. I don't know if the half egg makes much difference or not, but I've never had any qualms about dividing an egg and throwing half of it down the plug hole. Maybe if you have extra large eggs you could just use the one (as I have stated in the recipe). It's up to you--skip the half egg or add it, or make the entire amount and dally out the delicious sticky loot among your friends (there's no way one family can get through the amount the original recipe makes, as these are best eaten on the day of making).



ONE HOUR COFFEE CINNAMON SCROLLS (Adapted from Valley Ridge Recipes)

DOUGH:

1 3/4 cup warm water
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup oil
3 tbsp. dry yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 extra large egg (alternately 1 1/2 regular eggs)
5 1/2 cups plain flour

Place the water, sugar, oil and yeast in a large bowl and mix together. Let this mixture stand for 15 minutes.
Then add the salt, egg and the flour. Mix together into a soft dough and knead for 10 minutes, adding a little more flour if necessary so it does not stick to your hands. Lightly oil the bottom of the bowl, and let the kneaded dough sit in there for 10 minutes.
Lightly cover your work area with a little oil. Place the dough on this prepared surface and roll out into a rectangle about 1 cm thick.

CINNAMON FILLING:

1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsps cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, melted

Heat the oven at 200C.
Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl until well incorporated. Brush the melted butter over the surface of the rolled dough, and evenly sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar. Firmly roll the dough into a roll beginning with the long side. Cut the dough into 12 even portions. Arrange neatly on a lined baking tray about 2-3 cm apart from each other. You can let them sit and rise a little for 10 minutes if you want, or put them straight in the preheated oven. Cook  for 12-15 minutes until very lightly browned on top. Remove and cool on tray.

COFFEE ICING:

1-2 tbsp instant coffee
boiling watericing sugar
2 tbsp thickened cream

In a small bowl, place the instant coffee granules with enough boiling water to dissolve it, about 2 tablespoons. When dissolved, stir through 1/4 cup icing sugar and the cream. Gradually add more icing sugar until you reach a desired consistency. Some people prefer it thick, but I like mine a bit runny. Add water if necessary until it is the way you prefer. Drizzle over the cooked scrolls and serve.



17 comments:

  1. These rolls look absolutely delicious and your pictures are amazing!
    We recently launched a new site (MyRecipeMagic.com) and are looking for food bloggers like you to share your recipes. MyRecipeMagic is a site that actually pays bloggers to share their recipes AND drives traffic back to your blog by having the readers come back to your site for the entire recipe. Readers can also get the nutrition info for your recipes, put together their own cookbooks, earn reward points for using the site, and search by ingredients they have available to make yummy recipes like yours.
    We would love to have you join us!
    Have a great day,
    The Sisters
    www.SixSistersStuff.com
    www.MyRecipeMagic.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that these don't take as long! I find myself opting for the rolls in the fridge just because they're easier

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree-but who needs store bought when they are so quick to make? The only problem is how addictive they are and how many this recipe makes:)

      Delete
  3. What gorgeous looking rolls... and under an hour!! That's excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Amanda-got to love quick recipes! (well, quick for bread)

      Delete
  4. These looks so yummy going to give them a try..thank you for sharing them.. Happy Sunday with love Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could inspire you to cook Janice, thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  5. These were amazing! I decreased the yeast to just under 2tbsp and they worked out perfectly. This recipe was enough for two batches. I used the dough setting on my bread maker, so no hand kneading required. I was sceptical about the severely decreased proving time, but I'm a convert

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing a wonderful receipe. Just out of the oven and the look and taste heavenly even wuthout the icing . I'll never buy abother coffee scroll again. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! so glad to hear the feedback, thanks for commenting :)

      Delete
  7. I added 3/4 cup of sultanas to my dough, as Australian coffee scrolls always seem to contain sultanas. Super fast, super easy, and best of all, delicious! Definitely going to be a regular item at my house, despite the fact I didn't roll my dough thinly enough to have neat, round scrolls. Didn't spoil the flavour though. Thinking of adding some diced apples next time, making apple scrolls and using a vanilla icing drizzle instead of the coffee flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed the recipe and the scrolls! Nice addition with the sultanas, I will have to try that one!

      Delete
  8. Can you freeze them all rolled up and uncooked? Or would they be best kept in the freezer once you cooked them? I don't think I could eat that many all at once! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Sorry I have not tried this, but I imagine that the dough would greatly suffer from freezing them before cooking. I'm no bread expert though! You could definitely freeze them after cooking.

      Delete
  9. Finally a legit Coffee scroll recipe. Thank you. It does need the pink icing though. Any ideas how to do that?

    ReplyDelete

Give me some sugar, Sugar...