Monday, July 18, 2011

Custard Yo Yo Biscuits

They say one of the signs of insanity is talking to yourself. I wonder if that includes writing to ones self? Anyway, a big welcome to all our new subscribers! Blogging can feel lonely. But I don't feel so crazy now! I hope you enjoy the visual feast that is before you.
A lot of people ask me why I cook and put the effort I do into things that will soon be devoured and forgotten. It's like any passion I suppose. You do it because you love it, and I know it makes others happy and I love sharing something with them. Its a wonderful thing to be able to share something good with someone and enjoy a piece of time and a piece of cake together. There's a sense of achievement and satisfaction in creating something visually beautiful and delicious for the tastebuds. Who needs reasons for doing something they love anyway?
The funny thing is, I used to have such a hatred for food. Some people live to eat...I only ate to live, and only because it was absolutely necessary. In fact, the first 18 years of my life consisted of hiding food and burying school lunches, and the next three I virtually survived uni living off ten cups of coffee a day, a perhaps a little sushi. Okay, I exaggerate, but when you find the joy in food life changes somewhat. I began to see it as art...textures, designs, colours, fillings, contrast. It caught my decorative eye and finally my senses. Bon appetit!


YO YO BISCUITS

1 cup self raising flour
3 tbsp. icing sugar
1/4 cup custard powder
4oz butter

Sift flour, icing sugar and custard powder together in a medium bowl. Add butter and work into a stiff dough. Roll into walnut sized balls and place on a lined baking tray.
Press each down with a fork. Bake at 180C for 15-20 minutes until a light fawn colour. Cool and join pairs with jam or icing.

Makes 12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me some sugar, Sugar...