Saturday, January 22, 2011

Chocolate Hazelnut Croissants

Did I mention one of my 2011 cooking challenges is to make croissants? I'm talking about those soft, buttery layers of pastry the French should probably be bragging about.
I recently discovered that "croissant" actually means crescent...why did I never realise that before? Seems so obvious now that I know. So, with making real croissants still in mind for the near (or distant) future, I decided to experiment with puff pastry, hazelnuts, chocolate and crescent formations. After all, how could this combo go wrong? One word: HEAVENLY!
These are best served just out of the oven, coupled with a mug of coffee and a bunch to share with...because its so hard to stop at just one!



CHOC HAZELNUT CROISSANTS

2 sheets puff pastry, partially thawed
1 egg, beaten
8 tbsp. chocolate hazelnut spread (Nutella)
50g hazelnuts, crushed

 Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
Cut each sheet of pastry into 4 squares. Spread 1 tablespoon chocolate-hazelnut spread over each square, leaving a 1.5cm border around all edges. Sprinkle crushed nuts over chocolate.Brush pastry edges lightly with egg. Roll up each square from corner to corner, pressing gently to seal. Shape pastry rolls into croissants. Place on prepared tray. Brush with egg. Bake for 20 minutes or until pastry is golden and puffed.
Serve warm.
Makes 8



1 comment:

  1. thanks lovely! very easy to make, you should try them!

    ReplyDelete

Give me some sugar, Sugar...