Friday, February 4, 2011

The Proof Is In the Pudding

Hello and welcome to the guest edition of Mummy's blog.
My name is The Pudding, and my uncles say I have more rolls than a bakery.

More rolls than a bakery, as I said.

Its because I eat everything I make. I try to keep my culinary skills secret otherwise THEY might make me do all the cooking everyday. My parents think I know nothing of cooking, but I'm the pro in the family! After all, I have learnt quite a bit, listening to beaters buzzing, and dishes clanging for nine months, plus eight months of visual experience from my highchair.
Today we are going to make Watermelon Sorbet, because its really very hot at the moment. I got the idea from my aunty Renee and I found the recipe on Taste.com.
First, taste your selected watermelon to make sure its a juicy one...a dry watermelon just wont cut it!





WATERMELON SORBET

1 cup water
1/2 cup caster sugar
600g seedless watermelon, rind removed, coarsely chopped
1 egg white

Combine the water and sugar in a small saucepan and stir over low heat for 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high and bring to the boil. Boil for 5 minutes or until mixture thickens. Set aside for 30 minutes to cool.

Meanwhile, place watermelon in the jug of a blender and blend until pureed. Make sure their are no lumps (you should have about 600ml of watermelon juice)
Add sugar syrup to watermelon juice and stir until well combined. Pour into an airtight container, cover and place in the freezer for 4-5 hours or until almost set.
Roughly break up the sorbet with a metal spoon and transfer to the bowl of a food processor. Process briefly until sorbet is smooth and has a soft, icy texture.


Return sorbet to container and place in the freezer for a further 4 hours or until firm. Remove from the freezer and repeat. Return sorbet to the container and place in the freezer for a further 5 hours or until firm.
Place the sorbet and egg whites in the bowl of a food processor and process until sorbet is pale and smooth. Return to the container and place in the freezer for a further 4 hours or until almost firm. Scoop into serving glasses or bowls and serve immediately.



Now to lick the spoon!

2 comments:

  1. hahaha! best post ever! now the secrets out! - Marcela

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes. next he'll be claiming he writes all the blogs. really---i just sit back and watch as he whips up amazing meals like cajun chicken and black forest desserts...little champ!

    ReplyDelete

Give me some sugar, Sugar...