Tuesday, March 13, 2012

How To Make A Cupcake Bouquet

When Valentine's Day came around this year, I decided to do something my husband wouldn't expect. I wanted to do something romantic and surprising, so I had a look around at florists for one that could deliver a chocolate bouquet to his work.
I found a fabulous one--40 gold Ferrero Rocher's on stems in a fancy box, and they looked like beautiful blooms! So I ordered them, and felt excited the whole of Valentine's day thinking of an embarrassing delivery being made to Luke's office.
My husband emailed me throughout the day and there was no word of anything arriving, and I didn't want to ask for fear of ruining the surprise.
He came home about an hour earlier than usual, and I greeted him at the door as always. "So, did anything interesting happen at work today?" I asked.
The answer was "No, nothing much!"
"No Valentine's day drama?"
"No" he smiled. "Why do you ask?" he then added suspiciously. "did you have something delivered?!"
"No, no what a silly idea" I laughed.
My heart sank to my feet. My attempt to be wonderfully romantic had again failed. *sigh*
"You did order something didn't you!" he asked, colour coming into his cheeks.
I guess my laugh gave it all away and I disappeared out the door with a basket of washing before he could ask me again, and before I told him.
The next day the secretary at my husband's work met him in the elevator. She apologetically told him that a bouquet had arrived for him about half an hour after he left work, and she felt terrible. Ah well...all's well that ends well. At least he got it in the end.
But it got me thinking. How easy would it be to make something like a chocolate bouquet yourself? (for about quarter of the price)
Then when I became a very proud aunty again (for the 9th time) I decided not to take a bunch of flowers...but a bunch of cupcakes. It was surprisingly easy, unique and beautiful. And a little more enjoyable than real blooms--for the stomach anyway!







HOW TO MAKE A CUPCAKE BOUQUET

What you will need to get amazing:

Cardboard
Scizzors
a stapler
large rubber band
coloured tissue paper
craft glue
a gift box
ribbon
7 disposable plastic cups
cupcake liners that fit in the top of the cups

1. Take seven disposable plastic cups and arrange as follows: one in the middle and six surrounding the sentre cup. It looks a little like a flower. Staple the cups together so they hold in this position. Some tearing of the plastic may occur, but that's okay as long as they're all holding together.

2. Measure the circumference of the cup collection. Cut out a circle in the cardboard of that size so that the cups sit neatly in the middle without too much of a rim around them.

3. Using craft glue, adhere the cups to the cardboard. Leave to dry.

4. Take the coloured tissue paper and cut as desired. Secrure it around the base of the cups with a rubber band.


5. Push the cup collection into the gift box (the gift box is optional, you could just tie some ribbon around the outside of the tissue paper if desired)

6. Add another layer of wrapping paper over the gift box for added dimension and colour and tie with a bow.

7. Now you are ready to fill your bouquet case! Make your favourite cupcakes and swirl them with soft butter cream icing in the design of a rose. For an example recipe, see below under "NOTES".


NOTES: The cupcake recipe I used was for these delicious Mini Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes in a more regular size. The icing was vanilla buttercream with a touch of pink food colouring.
Be sure to choose cupcake liners that will fit into the cups properly. I used a size of cup slightly smaller than your standard disposable cup, and the liner that fitted it was slightly smaller than the standard also. You can find all different sizes in your local super marker or at a party supplier.

8 comments:

  1. This looks really lovely, well done.I would love to try this, where can I get the gift box? ive looked in my town and cant find anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Lesley, Its such a lovely little project. I have seen similar boxes for sale in dollar stores, but the one I used was just from a box I bought a set of scales in. I cut it down so it was the right size as it was tall. you could leave the box out of the project and tie a wide ribbon around the base of the first tissue layer if you like?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! Great idea!! I am trying it now, it works really well with a round glass shallow vase too! Thanks, much obliged!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have provided a richly informative article about.cupcake gift boxIt is a beneficial article for me and also helpful for those who are searching for this kind of information. Thanks for sharing this information here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog. All posts have something to learn. Your work is very good and I appreciate you and hopping for some more informative posts. Sending Gifts to the Philippines

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post is really awesome. Genuinely i like this blog. It gives me more useful information. birthday cakes glasgow I hope you share lots of things with us. patisserie

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you love cupcakes and flowers, then a cupcake bouquet is the perfect way to show your affection! Here’s how to make one:
    1. Start with a dozen or so cupcakes in your favorite flavor. Be sure to use ones that are similar in size so they’ll stack nicely.
    2. Arrange the cupcakes on a plate or cake stand, starting with the largest on the bottom and working your way up to the smallest on top.
    3. Once you have them all arranged, insert toothpicks or skewers into each cupcake so they’re firmly attached to each other. If you want, you can even add some greenery around the base for extra decoration.
    4. Now it’s time for the flowers! Choose colorful blooms that complement the flavor of your cupcakes and arrange them around the top of your bouquet. Make sure to stick the stems into

    Thank you chocolate bouquet Philippines

    ReplyDelete

Give me some sugar, Sugar...