Thursday, August 11, 2011

Lemon Sour Cream Butterfly Cakes

When ever I go on and view my blog, my little son runs up to me and wants to get up on my lap, pointing and yelling  "yum! yum!".
And when I'm in the kitchen and the goods are being completed there is no stopping the applause, or the intense frustration from that little guy.


Mind you, he's a real sugar guts. Okay, he gets to lick the spoon, as you can see from his face, but he wants more than that! What can I say...I think he's my biggest fan. Unfortunately he's the one person I wish wasn't such a fan. He'll be a rotten-toothed toddler if I'm not careful! (maybe its a good thing kids teeth fall out after all)
Some of my other known fans are currently joining gymnasiums.
I overheard two talking recently about my baking and one said to the other "I am going to the gym so I can keep eating this stuff of hers."
Now that made me chuckle inside. Sweet on the outside and the inside. Just the way I like it!
Recently I made the chocolate fudge cupcakes in the picture above, and making mini ones, I found myself with dozens of them. So I made a choc-mint variation with mint butter icing swirled high on the top. Just a word of advice...you can have too much of a good thing...especially when its on top of mini sized cake! I had someone groaning on the couch from sugar overload after eating three. So eat that icing down in small proportions!
Meanwhile, to get over the super sugar hangover, here's a lovely little recipe for cupcakes without the icing. Pretty little butterfly cakes I'm sure everyone has had as a kid. I still love them!



LEMON SOUR CREAM BUTTERFLY CAKES (adapted from http://www.taste.com.au/)

70g butter, softened
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 egg
125 g (1/2 cup) sour cream
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup self raising flour
1 tbsp finely grated lemon rind
2 tbsp lemon juice
whipped cream to top
icing sugar to dust

Preheat oven to 160°C.
Beat the butter and sugar together until pale and creamy. Add the egg and beat until well combined. Add the sour cream and combined flours and stir to combine. Add the lemon rind and juice and stir to combine. Spoon the mixture evenly among the prepared pans and smooth the surface. Place pans on an oven tray and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through. Remove tray from oven and transfer cakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
Whip desired amount of cream.
When cooled, cut the tops of the cupcakes off. Cut eat top in half.
Spoon blobs of cream onto the flat cut top of the cupcakes. Place the detached cake slices on the top of each blob of cream, like wings. Sprinkle with icing sugar and decorate as desired.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me some sugar, Sugar...