Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Lime Sour Cream Cakes

 When ever I go to buy sour cream I am hit with frustration. Its almost impossible to find sour cream that isn't "light". You know how I love my fat.
I'm all for people trying to lose weight if they need to, but "light" products have always given me the irrits. For one, it generally tastes awful in comparison to full-cream (try eating light yogurt and you'll know what I mean) and for another, lots of people use it as an excuse. Which really annoys me.
When I worked in cafes, it was an every day thing for a hugely over weight person to walk in and order a double sized milkshake on "skinny milk" with extra icecream, extra "light" cream, and all the toppings imaginable.
Someone's trying to lose weight. Oh yes! I'm having it all skinny!
Besides the fact I find this a huge joke, its incredibly annoying when someone orders one of those "1/4 strength skinny decaff lattes on soy with no foam and 1/2 a sugar."
I admit it doesn't have much to do with my "skinny" rant, but why bother? Its not even coffee!!
Alright, I'll forgive you if you use light sour cream in this recipe. It probably wont make any difference to the taste at all. Enjoy these babies, they're light, moist and deliciously citrus all at once, you may not be able to stop after one. If this is the case, make sure you eat it along side one of those double sized milkshake on "skinny milk" with extra icecream, extra "light" cream, and all the toppings imaginable--just to avoid putting on the extra weight. You know you want to!



LIME SOUR CREAM CAKES (adapted from http://www.taste.com.au/ )

70g butter, softened
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 egg
125 g (1/2 cup) sour cream
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup self raising flour
1 tbsp finely grated lime rind
2 tbsp lime juice
1 cup icing sugar
1-2 tbsp extra lime juice

Preheat oven to 160°C.
Beat the butter and sugar together until pale and creamy. Add the egg and beat until well combined. Add the sour cream and combined flours and stir to combine. Add the lemon rind and juice and stir to combine. Spoon the mixture evenly among the prepared pans and smooth the surface. Place pans on an oven tray and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through. Remove tray from oven and transfer cakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
Combine enough icing sugar and lime juice to create a thin icing. Drizzle over the cupcakes and leave to dry. Serve.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me some sugar, Sugar...