Thursday, August 18, 2011

Choc-Jaffa Pastry Cornets

So I am back from the most amazing mini break baby moon in the glorious Sunshine Coast Hinterland. It was so relaxing and peaceful, and the little cottage we stayed in was simply divine. Log fire crackling away, issuing that cherry glow over soft rugs, rain on the tin roof, strawberries, chocolate, and a hot spa *sigh*
Why did it ever have to end?
Somehow I enjoyed not being in the kitchen...it's nice when you don't have to prepare dinner. But when I returned home I felt a real longing to get into the baking again...I felt a part of me was disappearing! Mind you we were only away for a few days, but in that time we ate out at cafes and feasted on the continental breakfast that was delivered to our cottage mini kitchen. I didn't lift a finger!
By the time I got home my mind was once again overflowing with a million culinary ideas. Yes that's right...I lay in bed and my mind automatically creates all sorts of delicious things while I try to fall asleep.
I've been dreaming of these delights for ages. A buttery, pastry horn filled with delicious chocolate goo. A chocolate pastry horn filled with delicious chocolate goo. Chocolate pastry? Yes, I had some trouble finding a good recipe for that, so I tested my luck with puff pastry instead. And it was a success!
The awesome thing about my new discovery of these pastry horns is that you can use them for either sweet or savories. When they came out of the oven, looking cute and golden and perfectly cony, a million savory ideas ripped through my head. Look out for some fresh hors d'oeuvres ideas on here in the near future!



CHOC-JAFFA FILLED PASTRY CORNETS

2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
300g good quality dark chocolate
3 eggs, separated
125ml (1/2 cup) light olive oil
2 tsp. orange essence
1 chocolate covered honeycomb bar (Crunchy Bar or Violet Crumble) crushed
100g extra dark chocolate

Melt the chocolate gently in a microwave proof bowl, checking and stirring regularly to ensure it does not burn.
Set aside to cool slightly. In a clean, dry bowl, beat the egg whites until firm peaks form. Add the yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition until well incorporated. Gradually add the melted chocolate to the egg mixture, beating well until smooth. Add the oil gradually while beating, and lastly, incorporate the orange flavouring. Set the bowl aside in the refrigerator for 4 hours to set.
Meanwhile, cut the pastry into 20 strips (about 1.5 cm wide). Using metal cones and starting at the top (see note), twist each strip of pastry around, overlapping at the edges to hold, to form a cone. Cook in moderate oven (180C) for 30-35 minutes until golden. Cool for five minutes before gently removing.
Melt the extra chocolate and paint the rims of the pastry cones, dipping in broken honeycomb peices before leaving to set.
Using a piping bag and star nozzle, fill with jaffa mixture and refrigerate to set.

Makes approximately 20





Jaffa filling recipe adapted from Good Taste Magazine April 2007


NOTES: if you do not have the traditional metal horns used for making gingersnap cream horns like this one from TESCOMA
 

We have a cheap solution--one packet of ice cream wafer cones and some aluminum foil!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me some sugar, Sugar...