Sunday, September 25, 2011

Almond Creme Anglaise with Galliano Amaretto

My husband was given a glorious bottle of Galliano Amaretto liqueur a few years ago. He has never been able to take to it, it has a very strong almond flavour. Ever since we opened that pretty bottle, I have been looking for other ways to use it. I am sure it would be lovely in a creamy cocktail, but there's so much of it to use!
When I discovered the The Secret Recipe Club and was assigned the the blog Samayal Arai, I was thrilled to see that this delightful page had a recipe I could use the liqueur in. Her recipe Almond Creme Anglaise not only sounds amazing, but tastes just glorious with those bright red strawberries dipped into it. For one, I am addicted to custard, and this creamy anglaise is so smooth, with that slight nutty taste to make it just that little bit fancier. You can use it as a fruit dip instead of chocolate for a lighter option in these warming spring months without feeling too weighed down...yet keeping that satisfying happiness of indulgence.




GALLIANO AMARETTO CREME ANGLAISE (adapted from Samayal Arai)

1/2 cup cream
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup white sugar
1 1/2 tsp. custard powder
2 egg yolks
1 tbsp. Galliano Amaretto liqueur (or 1/2 tsp almond essence)
Fruit such as strawberries to serve.

Separate the eggs.
Place cream, milk and sugar in a small saucepan. Set the heat on medium and whisk until warm and the sugar begins to dissolve. Add the custard powder and yolks and continue to whisk. Whisk until the custard thickens but be sure not to let it boil as this may curdle the mixture. Remove from heat and set the saucepan in a few inches of cold water so as to cease the cooking process. Cool and add the liqueur to flavour. Serve with strawberries or a fruit of your choice.

NOTES: This recipe makes about 1 cup of creme anglaise. You can toast some almonds before you start the cooking process and add them to the milk and cream mixture at the beginning, removing them at the end, like Samayal Arai did in her recipe for that extra nutty flavour if desired.




17 comments:

  1. Beautiful pics and great post for SRC this month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a blast going through your blog and there were so many delicious things to look at. The cupcakes were out of this world. Almond Creme Anglaise with Galliano Amaretto looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have beautiful dishes. I love to use liqueurs in recipes. This sounds delish! Great SRC post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful blog..so dainty (polar opposite of mine). It sounds wonderful, I have amaretto lurking in my cabinets from when I made peach and amaretto ice cream. Now I have another use for it! Thanks for sharing your SRC post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks heavenly. I love amaretto. I will be trying this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my, this looks amazing! What a lovely, delicious dip for your fresh berries!!! Great SRC choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful blog and fantastic recipe. You got a great one for your SRC. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful presentation, delicious recipe and stunning photography. It's nice to meet you here on SRC and look forward to sharing recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yum!!! and I love the photos! so elegant looking!!
    Glad to be in Group C with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love this with my fruit any day!
    Awesome to be in the Secret Recipe Club with you. Here is my post from group C - http://su.pr/2rtACr

    ReplyDelete
  11. Creme Anglaise is so elegant and wonderful and I love anything with almonds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi yaa!, I am so honored and can't thank you enough, Thank you so much for introducing and speaking so high of me!, I am very happy you people liked it, Even my family loved it very much! Thank you once again dear, I feel so honored to be with you in SRC, Beautiful clicks I could pinch yours and post it in my blog!, mine looks so terrible...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jayasri, GREAT SRC pick and lovely recipe. Photos are just breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you everyone! This was my first post with the SRC, and I'm so pleased to be among such great cooks and bloggers! I had so much fun making this, and it is indeed an elegant accompaniment to any dessert. please drop by the blog I got it from, she is a wonderful cook!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome to SRC. Gorgeous photos! This sounds and looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! I’m new follower of your blog and would like to invite you to join me at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/04/clever-chicks-blog-hop-31-crayon-wreath.html

    I hope you can make it!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick

    Yours in poultry,
    Kathy Mormino
    The Chicken ChickTM

    Join me on Facebook
    Follow my blog: The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete

Give me some sugar, Sugar...