Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Peppermint Ganache Cups and Bad Kitchen Habits

Sometimes I live on estimates. I wholeheartedly believe in keeping flexible and not worrying too much, but this attitude comes with a price. This is a very annoying trait in the kitchen. When I experiment with food, I throw in a dash of this and a pinch of that. I never know how it will turn out, but when it is finished and turns out to be a success I have a strange mixed feeling of joy and disappointment. Joy that I made something that was delicious, disappointment I wasn't more careful to note down what measurements I had used so I can replicate it and then share with you all.
There's another really annoying habit I have in the kitchen. Often I combine recipes to make something. For example, I might adapt a shortbread recipe and use it as a pie base, and use a topping from another recipe as the pie filling (eating the remainder of the goo because the recipe I borrowed it from gave me too much for the pie) and then topping it with an invention of my own which is a bit of this and a bit of that.
So sometimes its rather difficult to accurately write down the recipe in full, and I apologise for that. Usually I don't post those recipes for the reason they are too messy for the general cook. I would have to add notes such as "This recipe makes twice the amount of pie filling required for this pie, however, due to measurements, it is too difficult to only make half the mixture (unless you want to try using half an egg)".
So below, I apologise again for this recipe. I have no idea on the measurement for quantity of the chocolate used in the edible cups, nor the quantity of cups that will be made from the recipe. Yes, I did it again. I used half the ganache for another recipe. But I just had to share this anyway. Its so yummy and would be perfect for a late nibble after a dinner party.



PEPPERMINT GANACHE CUPS

300g good quality dark chocolate
3 eggs, separated
125ml (1/2 cup) light olive oil
2 tsp. peppermint essence
Store bought chocolate cups, or a good quantity of dark chocolate for homemade cups

Melt the chocolate gently in a microwave proof bowl, checking and stirring regularly to ensure it does not burn.
Set aside to cool slightly. In a clean, dry bowl, beat the egg whites until firm peaks form. Add the yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition until well incorporated. Gradually add the melted chocolate to the egg mixture, beating well until smooth. Add the oil gradually while beating, and lastly, incorporate the peppermint flavouring. Refrigerate until firm.
If you are making your own chcolate cups you will need a good quantity of dark chocolate (I cannot tell you how much as I used half the ganache for another recipe so I have no idea how many this makes.
Melt the extra chocolate and paint the bottom and the sides of the aluminium foil cases. When set, pipe the firmed ganache into each cup with a large star nozzle. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Recipe will make at least 20 ganache cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me some sugar, Sugar...