Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Chocolate Jaffa Mousse

As you have probably noticed, I have a "thing" for miniatures...small pots of this, mini that...tiny little cakes.
I suppose that makes me Bridget Jone's mum: "another one of Mother's culinary triumphs...everything in miniature".
But there is something rather special about quaint edibles. They say "I look almost too cute to eat...but if you do, I won't add anything to your hips." Deceitful little devils. They look so good and you feel like you could eat a thousand of them, because they're so small.
I guess it attracts my feminine tastes and the size of my dessert stomach, which is significantly smaller than the other stomach. Those giant muffins you can buy in cafes never appeal to me, they always look so big and chunky...even if they are bursting with berries and white chocolate and screams of deliciousness.
Anyway, often there's a good reason things are smaller than usual. These little pots of Choc Jaffa Mousse would kill you if they were any bigger. Death by chocolate sounds good, but don't go there, you may regret it. These fellows are so delicious and smooth, its the closest thing on earth to heaven (I'm convinced). The thick, creamy, glossy goo is more like a ganache than the traditional airy and light mousse. You'll be hooked! Its the perfect way to finish off any meal and you're bound to receive loads of compliments. Its a winner every time.

CHOC JAFFA MOUSSE


300g good quality dark chocolate
3 eggs, separated
125ml (1/2 cup) light olive oil
2 tsp. orange essence

Melt the chocolate gently in a microwave proof bowl, checking and stirring regularly to ensure it does not burn.
Set aside to cool slightly. In a clean, dry bowl, beat the egg whites until firm peaks form. Add the yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition until well incorporated. Gradually add the melted chocolate to the egg mixture, beating well until smooth. Add the oil gradually while beating, and lastly, incorporate the orange flavouring. Pour into individual bowls and cover with plastic. Refrigerate until set and serve.


Serves 6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me some sugar, Sugar...