Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Way to a Woman's Heart

He looked at my sideways as we stood before the counter, and I knew this was about to be the worst date ever. "Have you got any money with you?"
Did I hear correctly? I hadn't ordered a main of lobster with an entree of oysters or something.
The silence was deafening as I reached for my purse in my hand bag. Why the heck did I bother to dress up... wear that flower in my hair...bother to put on the makeup and perfume...
Silently fuming and at the same time quite confused, I paid for my meal and we left the restaurant. I was sure he must have been feeling as embarrassed as I was, but he seemed cool, reaching for my hand and flashing me a smile. This was definitely not cool for a first date, especially when he had asked me out.
I will never quite look at risotto the same way again with that memory. I'm a traditional girl, I have certain expectations about the chivalry of men on a date. Is it too much to ask to be chased, wooed and wined and dined at the admirer's expense? I would have preferred for him to lie to me and say "Oh darn, I seem to have left my wallet at home...do you mind? I'll pick up the bill next time I take you out."
Next time? Well. Lies or no lies, it was a terrible way to start a possible relationship.
Anyway, men take note. She'll be more impressed with a home cooked risotto instead of forking out for herself, if you don't happen to have the money to take her out at the time. There are numerous benefits in this...she will see you can cook, or are willing (even if it turns out not as expected), it will be about a third of the price if not less, and you will have the intimacy of your own home or your garden to woo her. Do I hear BROWNIE POINTS? Yes! A thousand times, yes.


Okay, this is not exactly risotto...I couldn't make myself go there. After five years, this is the first time I have spoken to anyone of the risotto date. But this recipe is as delicious and super easy and packed with flavour! (and it costs about $5 to make) Home cook this for her and you won't be sorry...



CHEESY RED HOT RICE (serves 4)
1 small onion, chopped finely
1 ½ cups uncooked rice
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tin diced tomatoes, undrained
3 cups water
1 tsp salt
½ cup grated cheese (more if desired)
A pinch of chilli powder if desired
Parmesan cheese to top
 
In a medium saucepan over a moderate heat, fry onion until soft. Add the rice, oregano, tomato, salt, chilli powder and water and stir to combine. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, or until little holes begin to appear in the surface of the rice. Remove from heat and sit until water has been absorbed and the rice is tender. (You may wish to add some more water and continue simmering a little longer if rice does not seem cooked through.) Stir through the grated cheese and serve, topped with a good helping of Parmesan cheese.

2 comments:

  1. Do u cover the rice as it cooks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, i usually dont cover the rice as it cooks, although i often have to add extra water to the rice (perhaps as a result?) either way it will still work:) enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Give me some sugar, Sugar...